Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Ballboy's 3rd Birthday: Lemonade Scones

.Mmmmm.......meringues!!! I know the title of this post is Lemonade Scones, but we're having the family bash for Ballboy and GKGK's birthdays this weekend. I thought meringues would be good as they can be whipped up in advance - although there is a VERY BIG risk that I will eat the entire batch before Sunday - but I can't do that because I need as much time as possible, not only because I have to make the cake, but to read HARRY POTTER!!!!!!! Unfortunately, GKGK is working on Saturday. I was hoping I could convince him to look after the boys all day while I went out, bought the book right on 9:01am, then spent the whole day reading! I could probably have it all read and be home by 5pm. I think that's entirely fair and reasonable. Somehow though, he thinks it's more important for him to go to work. Very mixed up priorities if you ask me.

Anyway, so I can't eat the meringues because I don't have time to make more, and I had to make them during sleep time today so that BallBoy didn't see them. He absolutely loves them too (finally something he shares with his mother!). He calls them "rens". Every time I walk past the oven, I see them. They're softly calling "eat me....eat me.....eat me". So I thought I would share the photo with you so you can hear them calling too!!! (Of course, there are 2 that look a bit wonky, so I'll have to test them to make sure they're OK.....)

But anyway, onto today's recipe!!! I was thinking maybe some lemonade scones would be good for the birthday party. It's an afternoon tea party, and scones are always good, and lemonade scones are better than good because they're just so easy. (Hopefully I will have finished reading Harry before about midday Sunday, because then I'll have to start getting ready!)
.
Lemonade Scones
1 cup pure cream
1 cup lemonade
3 cups self raising flour
pinch of salt
flour, for dusting
jam and cream to serve

Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan forced. Lightly flour a baking tray. Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix lightly until combined. Scrape onto a floured surface. Knead lightly and shape into a rectangle about 3 cm high. Cut out with a 5cm scone cutter. Lightly dust with flour and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is browned. Serve with jam and cream. Eat!

No comments: