Monday, 9 July 2007

Kids Birthdays: Mini Meatballs

We had our Mothers Group joint 3rd birthday party on the weekend. My contribution was mini meatballs. I got this recipe from Mrs F, who (I think) got it from the newspaper. As with any good recipe, it has undergone some tweaking, and it is now a bit healthier than the original. Whilst making things healthier may seem like a strange thing for me to aim for, the idea is to hide some vegetables in something that kids will eat. The only problem is that the bbq sauce is full of salt, which is not great for the kidlets, but if that's what it takes to get them to eat vegetables, well you need to decide if the trade-off is worth it! I should add that the adults seem to enjoy these just as much so don't think they are just kids food! (Also, I haven't tested it out, but I think they would probably freeze quite well if you wanted to make them in advance).

Mini Meatballs
500g pork and veal mince
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 zucchini, grated
1 cup baby spinach leaves
2 tbs bbq sauce
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated cheddar or mozarella (or a combination of the two)

Preheat oven to 210 C. Place spinach in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 2mins, then rinse under cold water. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Chop spinach.
Place spinach and all other ingredients into a bowl. Mix until combined. Roll spoonfuls of mixture into walnut size balls. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
Bake for 15mins or until cooked through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a comment!

Anonymous said...

I see your comment...and raise you another comment!

These meatballs do freeze well and my daughter and husband love them. A quick and easy recipie to prepare and cook.

mmmmm