Monday, 9 July 2007

Winter Lunch: Lamb and Mushroom Salad with Poached Egg

I overdid the sweet things on the weekend, so I thought a salad might be the way to go for lunch today. The only problem is that today is a very cold wet wintery day, so my salad had to have some warm bits in it to combat the horrible weather outside.

This is one of my new "things" at the moment - warm lunch salads. It's a good way to get more vegetables in, and if you do it right, it can be a very fulfilling lunch that might just help keep the munchies away. I looked through my salad book, "tossed", for some inspiration using some ingredients I knew I had. I had some leftover lamb leg steaks which we barbequed for dinner last night, and I wanted to use my new egg poacher, so I started from there, took some inspiration from the book then added whatever else was in the fridge.

This is not the world's healthiest salad. It's full of veges but I cooked the mushrooms in butter and the bagelettes (which are store bought) are definitely not low in fat, so with the lamb and the egg, it ended up being fairly heavy. It probably needs an apple for dessert just to help it all digest!

Lamb and Mushroom salad with poached egg

Handful baby spinach
5 snow peas, chopped
1 roma tomato, chopped
Handful button mushrooms
1 egg
1 lamb leg steak
Handful garlic bagelettes

Dressing
2 tbs lemon thyme olive oil
1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
Pinch brown sugar
Salt and pepper

Lightly saute the mushrooms in some butter or olive oil (or to be healthier, just a spray of olive oil)
Poach the egg
While the egg and mushrooms are cooking, place spinach, snow peas and tomato in a bowl or plate.
Make the dressing
Reheat the lamb and slice into thin strips. Place on top of spinach.
Add the mushrooms.
Drizzle dressing over salad.
Top with bagelettes and poached egg.

No comments: