Saturday, 15 September 2007

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Mini Friands

Lately, I have been trying out some recipes for my gluten-intolerant father-in-law. We have the PorkChop’s first birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, and I like to have a range of sweet things for everyone to munch on. I think we need some new gluten free things other than meringues and caramel fudge. (I don’t need anything in life other than meringues, but some people are just plain weird and want cakes and sausage rolls and stuff. Hmmmmmm... maybe I should change the name of this blog............)

The latest delicious magazine came with a recipe for gluten-free fruit and nut loaves, so I thought I would give them a try. (The recipe doesn't appear to be on their website just yet). They were pretty good for a gluten free baked good, although they were a bit dry – however this may not be the fault of the recipe. It is more likely it had something to do with the fact that the recipe asked for 250g yoghurt, but I only had 200g, so I just went with that ! (and didn’t make any corresponding adjustments) Oh well! It was just a test run. GKGK still managed to eat most of them (the recipe made about 48 - that was too much even for him!)

It got me thinking though. The recipe was quite similar to a friand recipe, and I really was after something with a chocolate flavour, so I thought I would apply some of the gluten-free ideas to my standard friand recipe, and just add chocolate! The whole friand thing also proved quite useful because it used a lot of egg whites. I am on a bit of an icecream kick at the moment, so I have egg whites falling out my bum and I need to do something other than meringue. (or do I?)

So this morning I baked some gluten-free chocolate chip mini friands and served them up to some friends, and all 24 are well and truly gone! There was not even chance for a photo! So it would appear that the recipe was a success – they all demanded copies – so here it is!

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Mini Friands
Makes approx 24 mini friands or 6 normal sized friands

105g butter, melted and cooled
120g icing sugar
30g rice flour (or plain flour if you have no gluten issues)
30g cocoa powder
75g almond meal
3 egg whites
100g white choc chips

Pre-heat the oven to 180° C. Grease a 24-hole mini muffin tin.
Sift icing sugar, almond meal and flour. Lightly beat egg whites until frothy, but not stiff.
Fold into dry ingredients. Add cooled butter and mix.
Add the choc chips and mix.
Fill the tins almost to the top.
Bake for 13-14 minutes or until a skewer in the centre comes out clean.
Allow to rest in pan for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
If making normal sized friands, bake for approximately 20 minutes.
If you want to take a photo of them, do it before they are GONE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post... Looks like solid state memory is really starting to take off. Hopefully we'll start seeing decreasing solid state harddrive prices in the near future. $5 32 GB Micro SDs for your DS flash card... sounds gooooood.

(Posted using Post4i for R4i Nintendo DS.)