Thursday, 20 September 2007

Patty Cakes


The other day, I was having my standard Friday catch up with the girls (FattyBoomBah, Mrs F and ButterLover), and they were hassling me for a patty cake recipe. What kind of dodgy food blogger would I be if I didn’t have a decent patty cake recipe?!?! More importantly, what kind of cooking mother would I be if I didn’t have a decent quick and easy patty cake recipe!?

I love this recipe. You don’t need to remember to get the butter out of the fridge to let it soften, everything goes in at once, and while it does use an electric mixer, the whole mixing process takes about 1 minute. I whipped up some more today because I wanted to test out a few things. I got some of those mini silicon patty cases (in pretty colours, see!) and I wanted to see if they were any good. I also wanted to test out some smaller cakes for PorkChop’s upcoming party, and I also wanted to test out my new cake flour – to see if it made my cakes any softer.

So off I went this morning, with 2 kids snapping at my heels the whole time. I forgot to use unsalted butter, I put too much butter in, I forgot to change the setting on the oven, and once I had put them in the oven, I realized I had introduced way too many variables to find out whether the new flour made any difference at all! Doesn’t matter! They still tasted great! I think the unsalted butter really does make a difference to the taste, but don’t worry if you only have salted – we managed to scoff them this morning without any problems!
The silicon cases seemed to work pretty well. The cakes weren't quite as golden brown as usual, and the silicon may have something to do with this. Also, they domed up quite high in the centre but not on the edges - kind of like a bell shape, so maybe the edges were well and truly stuck to the silicon and found it hard to rise. Then again, they came out very easily and I didn't grease them at all. This is a very big thing for me because I am a slack greaser and I want everything to just fall out its tin with minimal effort! So the silicon is great for that. I haven't washed them yet, not that there was much cake left in them, but if that proves traumatic, I'll auction them off the highest bidder!

Patty Cakes
(adapted from Australian Women’s Weekly)

125g unsalted butter, chopped
1 tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups (225g) SR flour
½ cup (125ml) milk

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl of electric mixer. Beat on low speed until ingredients are combined. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and changed in colour. Drop 1 ½ tbs mixture into paper cases. Bake in moderate oven about 18 minutes. Turn onto wire rack to cool.

The original recipe said this makes 24. I reckon it makes about 18 – and fairly small cakes too. I always find that I am making more than 18 for parties and stuff, so I scale on the basis of 1 egg = 9 cakes and then go from there. This morning I used 1 egg and it made 24 of the little cakes in the silicon cases. I recommend cooking small ones that size for about 10 minutes.

No comments: