Wednesday, 17 October 2007

Another Warm Salad!


Lately I've been trying to be a but healthier by increasing my fruit and vegetable intake, and one of my "things" I've still got happening is the warm salad. I must admit, I am starting from a very low base of fruit and veg, so anything is an increase, really! Just to prove this is so, today, I ate (just one or two!) choc chip cookies and an egg jaffle. Not a green bit in sight!

However the other day, I was feeling a little more creative, so I decided to whip up another warm salad. I was feeling kind of pumpkin-y, or chicken-y or something, I wasn't really sure. So I did the old open-the-fridge-and-stare thing until I was inspired.

I was going to go with pumpkin, but I had half a kumera left, so I started with that. I also like to have a bit of protein to keep me a bit fuller, (in the vain hope that I will have 17 chocolates after lunch instead of my usual 25), so I threw in some chicken, and I was also feeling a bit Moroccan, so I thought I would have some couscous and some spices. Couscous is just pasta, really, so it's probably not even remotely Moroccan, but it always seems to be floating around somewhere in Moroccan recipes, so I officially deem it Moroccan!

My taste buds must have been having some sort of decision making crisis, because I rubbed the chicken with the Moroccan spices, but also made a maple syrup lemon mustard dressing! The dressing got put aside in the fridge for some other day and some other warm salad so I'll write about it once I have eaten it!

Couscous Chicken Salad
1/4 cup couscous
1/4 cup hot chicken stock
Small handful toasted flaked almonds
Small handful currants
1/2 kumera, peeled and diced
2 chicken tenderloins
1 tbs moroccan spice mix
Handful baby spinach

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degC. Spray the kumera with olive oil. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until browned to your liking.
Pour the stock over the couscous and set aside for 5 minutes.
Pour boiling water over the spinach, leave for one minute, drain, rinse with cold water, then drain again very well.
Add the spinach, currants and almonds to the couscous, mix well.
Spray chicken with olive oil then sprinkle over the spice mix.
Heat a small frypan over medium-high heat. Spray with olive oil.
Cook chicken until just done.
Mix hot kumera with couscous mix. Serve topped with chicken.



No comments: