Monday, 1 October 2007


I started doing cake decorating about 2 years ago. I’m certainly no professional, but I really enjoy it. Since the very beginning, the one cake I have wanted to make is Noah’s Ark. So a few weeks ago, I decided to take the plunge and make one for PorkChop’s birthday. I was talking about it with my friend Mopik and she commented that I really should do the best possible job considering it’s the cake I always wanted to make. No pressure there!!!

The animals can largely be made in advance, except for a few ears and tails which need to be molded to fit in and around the other animals, so over the past few weeks, when the kids had gone to bed and I wasn’t too tired, I made pigs and pandas and giraffes! I baked the cake a few weeks ago and put it in the freezer so I could carve the ark shape out of it. I just rented a cake tin - $2.75 to rent for one day, $45 to buy it outright – the decision was easy.

On Friday, Mum came over to help with PorkChop (Boof was at pre-school) while I constructed the ark. It actually came together much easier than I thought – it still took ages though! Each plank was cut and stuck on individually so that was a bit time consuming, and I wasn’t really happy with the roof in the original picture so I changed that, and I made a few extra small animals.

I love food, and I love to cook but I am not the most co-ordinated crafty person in the world, so I am absolutely over the moon with the results!!

No comments: