Tuesday, 6 November 2007

Chicken corn and zucchini soup

Sorry I’ve been so slack. There’s been a fair bit of dodgy sickness in this house over the last couple of weeks, and talking, writing, even thinking about food has not been a priority! And for me, that’s really saying something. Anyway, enough with the excuses!

One of my new soups this winter was zucchini, corn and bacon. It is so easy and so tasty – perfect to whip up for lunch at the last minute. Because it was perfectly good, just the way it was, of course I had to go and change it! I go through these phases where there is a kind of taste-flavour thing floating around in the back of my head. It’s a bit annoying but it’s also quite handy because it’s what seems to inspire me to create new recipes (or at least change existing ones!). Over winter I had this filling-soup-with-rice-in-it thing happening, but I never really got around to cooking anything like it. I also had the zucchini corn and bacon soup which kept popping up in my head, demanding to be made again and again and again, so when the weather looked so nasty today, I decided it was finally time for my 2 head-space-flavour thingies to meet!

I started off with the basics for the zucchini soup, but I just added a bit of extra stock so the rice would cook properly. I also added some chicken to give it a bit of extra filling-ness, and I threw in some fresh thyme that was languishing at the bottom of the fridge, doing its best to become dried thyme. While the soup was cooking, I was a bit concerned that maybe I was wrecking a perfectly decent recipe, but oh no! It was great! It was thick and filling, and super tasty. The creamed corn makes it seem, well, creamy! It actually came out a bit casserole-ish, but that’s good, because it will work well for PorkChop’s dinner. So I am a pretty happy camper this afternoon! I love a good tasty creative lunch followed by a good bit of blogging!

Chicken, zucchini and corn soup

1 tbs olive oil
2 green onions, chopped, green bits reserved
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 full bacon rasher, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
200g tin creamed corn
125g tin corn kernels, drained
2 cups chicken stock
½ cup white rice
3 chicken tenderloins, sliced
Pepper

Heat large saucepan over medium heat.
Add oil, onions, garlic, and bacon.
Cook until onions are softened and bacon is slightly crisp.
Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.
Add corns, pepper and stock and bring to the boil.
Add rice.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add chicken.
Cook for a further 5 minutes or until rice and chicken are cooked.

No comments: