Sunday, 6 January 2008

Christmas Party

AAaaah! Our Christmas party is finally over. As much as I love putting on the whole thing, by the time all has been said and done, I need a good rest. I don’t have to do much for our family events on Christmas Day itself – we are only responsible for taking juice to GKGK’s family breakfast, and I made ice-cream in advance for my family’s dinner. Both events are at the Grandparents’ houses, so there is very little work for me. So our Christmas party we have with our friends every year is the big effort for me. I start planning it months in advance, and I work like a madman in the preceding days, fitting in lots of cooking and other preparations with cleaning and looking after two little tackers!

It was strange on Christmas Eve. We had our party the night before. I ducked down the road to the shops, and I wondered why on earth there were all these people running around, stressing out and buying all this food. After all, my Christmas responsibilities were over! Aah, but the rest of the people were going hard, their efforts only just beginning!

Normally, we try to offload all the kiddies, and have a proper sit-down dinner, with roast turkey and ham and all the bits and pieces. I decided this year that it was too hard for everyone to get babysitting at this time of the year, so we went with a late afternoon/early evening dinner with 11 adults and 12 kids!

We started off with all the usual suspects, chips, dips, lollies, and lots of carrot sticks for our freaky children. We then moved on to some parmesan chicken schnitzel bites, (recipe below) and some famous sausage rolls.

For the main course we had leg ham off the bone, chicken legs marinated in BBQ sauce, prawns, bread, potatoes, my favourite Jamie Oliver pumpkin prosciutto and rocket salad, and my new favourite vegetables – served with an apple cider vinegar dressing, topped with goats cheese and chopped up pistachios. Exceptionally tasty and a good way to get GKGK to eat a few more vegetables. It’s from one of my newest cookbooks – Lighten Up by Jill Dupleix. (Don’t worry, I was given it for my birthday - before my self-imposed cookbook ban). It’s the only thing I have made from it so far, but on looking through, I can see so many good recipes, it will be a good candidate for Cookbook of the Year for 2008!

Dessert was a very tasty frozen mars bar mousse. It came from delicious magazine. I made it when my family came over for dinner a few weeks ago, and because it was so easy and could be made in advance, it was the perfect choice for the Christmas party. (We went to the Wiggles concert that morning, so time was somewhat limited!) (The recipe is not on the delicious website yet, I will post the link once it's there)

All in all, it was a great party. Everything went smoothly, the kids all had a great time, and of course, my darling children woke us up about 40 times that night because they were way too overexcited and over tired. Oh well. We will still probably do it all again next year!

No comments: