Sunday, 27 January 2008

Onion Gravy


What kind of idiot manages to cut their finger like that? How did I achieve that shape? I have no idea. I was testing out my new knife, and apparently I have not quite worked out the feel and balance of it yet. I was very lucky that my super-fast sporty reflexes allowed me to stop in time to avoid slicing right through my finger. Freaky. Or freak, more like it.

And now onto further dodginess on my part, I did not make my self imposed cookbook purchase ban! I caved, and got Bill Granger's "Holiday" on the 30th of December. I held out and didn't look at it until the 31st, but I guess you either make it or you don't. And I didn't!! But I was on holidays, and it was worth it, so I don't feel even the remotest bit bad about it!

I tried my first two recipes from it tonight. We had roast chicken with torn bread stuffing and onion gravy, and tomato and zucchini gratin. I am really not a big fan of stuffing. In the past, I have found it to be either dry and dull, or moist and eerily reminiscent of under-cooked chicken. So I just avoid it now. However, all my Christmas magazine reading is perhaps starting to pick away at my stuffing prejudice. There are so many recipes for exceptionally tasty-sounding stuffings, with all sorts of combinations of ingredients, so I'm thinking maybe I need to open my mind and give stuffing another chance! Bill to the rescue!

The stuffing in this one has onions, mushrooms and sage (such an underrated herb - I love it). It was OK - not fabulous though. It certainly hasn't made me a stuffing convert, but it hasn't turned me off either. The gratin was pretty good. It's not really GKGK's thing (it has vegetables in it) so it's hard to get a reasonable opinion from him, but I quite liked it. He said he thought it was great when it was smothered in the onion gravy! We all agreed that the onion gravy was excellent. Boof kept asking for more and more. GKGK said that the whole meal was the best new recipe I have made in ages, which is actually quite an achievement! Of course, I changed the gravy recipe slightly! I really like Bill, but there's always room for improvement!

Onion Gravy
Good with roast chicken.

1 tbs butter
1 large onion, finely diced
1/4 cup white wine
1 1/2 tbs plain flour
500ml hot chicken stock
2 tbs cream

Heat a frying pan over medium low heat. Add butter and onion and cook for 10 minutes until golden brown and caramelized. Add flour. Stir until any liquid is absorbed. Add wine. Turn heat up and simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Simmer until sauce thickens. Stir in the cream. Add any pan juices from the chicken, or extra stock or water if the gravy is too thick.

No comments: