Thursday, 28 February 2008

Cheese and garlic monkey bread

After the wild success of the cinnamon monkey bread, I thought it would be good to try a savoury version. How hard could it be? Actually, not hard at all! I started off with the same base recipe, just with a few small changes. I intended to reduce the amount of sugar, but actually forgot! (The whole thing ended up a little bit sweet, but it wasn't really a problem, although I would definitely reduce the sugar next time). I also added about 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan into the dough. I made the dough the night before and whacked it in the fridge.



The above photo is the dough before it went in the fridge. The below photo is the next morning, after it had been sitting on the bench for about 1 1/2 hours. Lovely and puffy!


I then made up a mixture of finely grated parmesan, finely grated cheddar, oregano, powdered garlic (very dodgy, I know, but this was just a "concept trial"!) salt and pepper. I cut up the dough the same as the previous batch, but instead of rolling the balls in milk, I rolled them in olive oil, then dipped them in the cheese mix. Here they are, sitting on the bench for their second rising.

Here they are, all puffy and excited about being baked!



Here they are after being baked, and getting stuck in the pan, and being pulled out in bits and pieces!


It didn't affect the taste - they were absolutely beautiful! But I think next time, I might roll the balls in olive oil, then put them in the tins, then sprinkle the cheese mixture in and around them, because it was the cheese that stuck to the pans (even though I greased them). I also think it would be SO MUCH better if I used roasted garlic. mmmmmm! Friends and family all loved them - just as much as the cinnamon ones. So I am very excited about having 2 brand new recipes to add to my repertoire!

No comments: