Friday, 22 February 2008

Monkey Bread

One of my favourites blogs is from the bakers at King Arthur Flour. As much as I love all the other food blogs I read, this one really shows the advantage of being written by people who bake for a living!

One of their recent posts was for something called monkey bread. I have never heard of this before, but after reading through and looking at the photos (they always have heaps of very helpful ones throughout the recipe), I decided it would definitely be a good thing to cook for the girls today. It's a bit like those pull-aparts you used to be able to get from Bakers Delight, except it's sweet.

I made the dough last night and put it in the fridge. GKGK kindly took it out for me at 6am this morning, so by the time I had got up and had breakfast, it was beautiful and puffy and ready for the next step. Making the dough is not difficult - but I did find it hard to know when it was kneaded enough. I also needed a fair bit more flour than the recipe said - which is something I often find with KA recipes. This might be due to different environmental factors, such as humidity, or it might be something to do with the flour itself. Or it might be because I don't know what I am doing and just keep adding flour when I really don't need to!

Anyway, aside from those little problems the rest of it all came together very easily, and by the time it had done its second rising and been baked, my friends were here, and were all very happy to eat it straight out of the oven!

Everyone loved it and demanded the recipe! So here it is... Monkey Bread from King Arthur Flour

No comments: