Friday, 28 March 2008

Maple Granola Bars


So what were my other 6 & 7 recipes? Well this one definitely qualifies as a 7, not a 6 so that's a good start! This one is a granola bar from my new favourite cookbook The New Wholegrain Cookbook. I am trying to incorporate some slightly healthier foods in our diet, particularly some wholegrains, and this book got good reviews on amazon, so of course I had to get it! So far I have tried two recipes, and they have both been good. The reason they are not excellent, fabulous, fantastic, is because they use wholegrains! I like my food full of processed flour, sugar and butter, and these are not!

As far as healthier, wholegrainier food goes, these bars are pretty good. They still have a good whack of sugar in them with brown sugar and maple syrup, and the fat is just the canola and the peanut butter. They come together quickly and easily which is always a bonus. The recipe in the book is pretty basic, so I added some dried blueberries and dried apple. I think I probably would make these again, with whatever dried fruit was on hand, and also maybe with some nuts and /or seeds. I could also try swapping some or all of the maple syrup for honey - seeing as maple syrup is so ridiculously expensive.

Ooh look. I've done it again. I've said I'll make these again, but with lots of changes. I think though that with this recipe (as opposed to the soup recipe in my previous post), the changes improve what is already a pretty good recipe. It's just adding extra bits in to make it better. I think with the soup recipe, the changes were trying to hide some fundamental imbalances in the texture. That's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking with it.

Maple Cinnamon Granola Bars
Adapted from "The New Wholegrains Cookbook" by Robin Asbell
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup rice flakes or rice bubbles
1/4 cup whole wheat plain flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup finely chopped dried apple
1/4 cup skim milk powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs canola
Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC. Lightly grease a 20cm square cake tin. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, rice bubbles, flour, sugar, milk powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl whisk together the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and canola until smooth.
Stir mixtures together, along with the dried fruit, and mix until well combined, using your hands if necessary.
Scrape mixture into the pan and press out flat. Bake for 20 minutes. Using knife or bench scraper, cut into squares or bars. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
Let cool completely in pan before removing.

No comments: