Wednesday, 5 March 2008

Penne with Prosciutto, Tuna and Mushrooms

I finally got off my butt and decided it was time to organise my big box of printed recipes. These are a wide and varied collection of recipes I have picked up over time but have never actually cooked. Once I have cooked a recipe, and if it is a keeper, I type it up and keep it electronically. I then cook it a few more times, and give it a few good tweaks. If, after all of that, it is STILL a keeper, it then gets printed out and added to THE BOOK.

THE BOOK is actually 3 display books - one for sweet stuff, one for mains, and one for everything else. I am seriously considering getting all the recipes that are good enough to make it to the book printed out in a real book - but that's for another day! For the moment, I thought it was a sufficient achievement to sort out the stacks of paper.

One of the recipes I came across in my sorting was something I must have printed out from the allrecipes.com recipe of the day email. I don't usually print them out - just tag them for later, so I must have been inspired to cook this, but for some reason didn't, and then it just got lost in the big blue recipe box. It's actually from 2006, so you can see how often the recipe box gets sorted!

Of course, being a main, I tweaked it as I went along. GKGK has issues with too much lemon flavour, so I replaced the lemon juice with balsamic vinegar. I also used prosciutto instead of pancetta, but this is only because I bought the wrong thing at the deli! I love prosciutto, so the substitution isn't really a problem. It's just prosciutto itself. The first line of the recipe says to fry the prosciutto til crisp, then leave aside until the rest of the dish cooked. How much crispy salty LUSCIOUS prosciutto do you think I had left at the end of the cooking? Hmmmmmm. I should have locked it up so I couldn't get to it!

We all liked this one. GKGK said he would definitely eat it again, so next time, I will just get more prosciutto!

Penne with Prosciutto, Tuna and Mushrooms
Olive oil
6 slices prosciutto, sliced into strips
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup frozen green peas
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 big handfuls baby spinach
180g tin tuna, drained
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
Freshly grated parmesan
Penne (or whatever pasta works for you!)

Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions
While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbs olive oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add prosciutto and cook until crispy. Set aside on paper towel. Try not to eat it all.
Return pan to medium heat. Add 2 tbs olive oil. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic, cook for one minute. Add mushrooms. Cook until they begin to give off juices.
Add wine. Turn heat up to high. Cook until wine has reduced by half.
Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in peas, tomatoes, vinegar and flake in lemon. Mix well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add spinach and cook until wilted.
Add parmesan and prosciutto and stir through.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain and mix with the tuna mixture.
Serve with extra parmesan on top, if desired.

No comments: