Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Ricotta Hotcakes

How is it that I can't even flip a pikelet? I love pikelets. I make them quite a bit. But when it comes to the flipping, I am just so massively unco.

Look at this mess.....


See how in the middle of the three of them is just a big smodge of uncooked mixture? (this photo actually makes it look much less dodgy than it looks in real life) How on earth does this happen?

WELL, today I have an excuse. A fabulous tasty excuse! For a while I have been eyeing off a recipe for ricotta hotcakes. Not just any recipe mind you, BILL'S recipe!! My plan is to cook up a big batch, then freeze them in smaller batches so I can have them ready for quick snacks for the boys. I haven't made them before, but the whole ricotta thing made me think that maybe they were a bit healthier than the basic pikelet.

So I dutifully went out and got my ricotta, and then got all ready this morning to do the cooking, and then realized the recipe required me to separate 4 eggs and whip the whites until firm peaks formed. What a pain in the butt! I didn't bother reading the recipe the whole way through before I got the ricotta - serves me right! I probably wouldn't have made them if I realised they were so much more work than my tried and true pikelets! But then I would have missed out!!!

They are SO. MUCH. better than standard pikelets! They are light and fluffy and soft and tender and light years ahead of my now-second-best pikelet recipe!! And that is my excuse for the mess in my frypan! Because they are so soft and tender, they are extremely difficult to flip. Or maybe it's just because I'm unco! Who cares!!!!!! These are well worth the effort and the mess!

Ricotta Hotcakes
(adapted from Bill Granger)
1 1/3 cups ricotta
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs, separated
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
2 tbs caster sugar
butter, for frying
Place ricotta, milk and egg yolks in a bowl. Stir to combine.
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add to the ricotta mixture and mix until just combined.
Place egg whites in a clean dry bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites through batter in two batches.
Heat a large frypan over low-medium heat. Add a small dob of butter and swirl around. Drop in 3 tbs mixture per hotcake into the pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until undersides are golden. Turn and cook until other side is golden and hotcakes are cooked through.
Bill doesn't have sugar in his recipe, and suggests you serve these with bananas and honeycomb butter. Honeycomb butter - sure, but bananas? Come on Bill. That's just gross!
I like mine perfectly plain, and that's how the kiddies will get them - which is why I added some sugar into the recipe. Although I daresay a SLATHER of maple syrup would be more than satisfactory!

No comments: