Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Assorted Sweetlings!


We were having a quiet at-home day yesterday, and I knew I was going to be having some friends over for morning tea today, so of course, it was time for lots of baking! Any excuse, and my friends aren't exactly going to complain!
I got busy with three new sweet recipes. On the left are some coconut macaroons. I have tried a few different macaroon recipes, and none seem to be quite what I want. The only small problem is that I don't actually know what it is that I want, which makes finding it quite difficult. I'm sure though, that once I do find it, it will knock me over with its fabulousness. These ones are different to the dense macaroons you can get. They are pretty much just a meringue with coconut mixed in. Not that that is a problem considering my meringue addiction issues. Some macaroons just get made by randomly mixing the ingredients together. For these, I had to whip egg whites and then gradually add sugar - blah blah blah - all that normal meringue stuff. They turned out pretty well though, and they got good reviews from a tough audience. (ummmmmm.... that's not quite true. That audience will scoff ANYTHING!)

In the middle of the photo you will see some Brownie Roll-out Cookies. I have been eyeing these off for a while now. The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen, one of the many food blogs I am addicted to. I used unsalted butter, and then forgot to put some salt in, so they weren't quite as good as they could have been, but I still give them 9/10. They were really really good. My friends were lucky there were any left. Straight out of the oven, salt or no salt, they were irresistable!

Last but not least, we have some almond bread. I am not familar with the site the recipe came from - I just typed almond bread in google and that's one that came up. I have always liked almond bread, which I thought was the same as biscotti. I tried to make some a little while ago, using a biscotti recipe, and I was quite disappointed. I have since found out that almond bread and biscotti, are in fact, quite different. They use the same twice-baked technique, but biscotti use whole eggs and almond bread has only egg whites. This is actually quite convenient for me because my freezer is full of containers of 3 egg whites. Every time I make ice-cream, it uses 6 egg yolks, so I freeze the whites in batches of 3. Why 3? This makes the perfect number of meringues to fit on one oven tray! And look at that recipe! 3 egg whites! It was meant to be!

I was pretty happy with this almond bread. The cloves and the orange peel really made it great. (although 1/2 tbs cloves seemed like too much so I only put in 1 tsp). I once heard Jamie Oliver say something along the lines of "You can put one of these in the top of a dessert, and you can then charge £8 for £4 dessert". So if you come to my house for dessert, these will now be in the top of everything and you can pay by cheque or cash.