Wednesday, 25 June 2008

Red Tuna Pasta


When I was a teenager, I was responsible for cooking dinner once a week for the whole family. I think the first meal I learned to cook was spaghetti bolognaise (which I think was the same for everyone!) I used to get very frustrated because my parents wouldn't give me exact amounts. "Put some basil in", they would say. "Exactly how much?" I would plead, knowing the answer in advance. "Some", would be the helpful response!


Now I am the one with the dodgy measurements. While I have included measurements in the following recipe, don't trust them! If they seem like too much, or too little, go with what you think suits you and your audience. I have made this hundred of times since I was a teenager, and I never use a recipe so I daresay it changes every time I make it.

This is one of my absolute favourite every-day, weeknight, easy pantry meals. I always have tuna, tomatoes and pasta in the pantry, and the vegetables can be changed to whatever you have in the fridge. (You might notice, however, that there is a mixture of penne and trivelle because I didn't have quite enough trivelle. And no backup bag in the pantry! The horror!)



As you can see, there is a dirty big pile of vegetables there, so this meal makes me feel quite virtuous. Lots of healthy veges, low GI pasta, omega-3 rich tuna, and a cheesy calcium boost. I would even recommend this tuna dish for non-seafood eating people, because the tuna flavour doesn't stand out. I asked GKGK about this, (he is quite happy to eat tuna) and his problem was more about the vegetables standing out! I think he would be quite happy if it just had mushrooms and cheese in it. Hopeless. My kids love it too - although that's not really saying much, because they love all food. Anyway, give it a go. You won't be disappointed!
Red Tuna Pasta

1 tbs olive oil
440g tin tuna in springwater
2 x 400g tin tomatoes
1 tbs dried oregano
2 cups trivelle (spiral pasta)
½ cup grated tasty cheese
1 small onion, chopped

Other vegetables as desired, for example:
2 sticks celery, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
3 mushrooms, sliced
2 yellow squash, chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
½ cup broccoli, chopped into small-medium florets
½ cup cauliflower, chopped into small-medium florets
Handful of beans, topped and tailed and chopped in half
Cook pasta in plenty of salted boiling water
Heat oil in wok or large frying pan.
Stir fry onions until translucent
Add remaining vegetables. Stir fry until almost cooked
Add tomatoes
Season with salt and cracked black pepper
Add oregano
Mix through. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Add tuna, mix through
Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to wok.
Mix through.
Add grated cheese and mix until cheese is melted

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's going on!! I need some inspiration!!

John said...

It looks so colorful and thanks for sharing.
www.ahacook.com

betty said...

Wonderful,yummy site-thanks for the pictures and info! Betty

heshaojie said...

Ugg boots
Ugg boots for sale
Ugg boots sale
Uggs on sale
Cheap ugg boots
Ugg boots
Ugg boots online for sale